Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Building your Business can be less stressful


My natural skills is servicing my business. I'm very good at what I do and I offer an excellent product that's backed by fantastic service. However, I'm aware that networking is an important tool to build my business but I often find that the process can be very stressful. 


Some people seem to thoroughly enjoy networking events. They're surrounded by an ever present and tight circle of friends. The continual roar of dialogue bangs against my eardrums.

RELATIONSHIP BUILDING IS ACTUALLY LIKE DATING

I've increasingly realized, as I attend those networking events, that there seems to be the tendency to forget that building a business actually means interacting with people who represent their business. It's like the engagement rules are suppose to be different when we 'work the business' instead of 'interacting with people'.


(Typical) DATING TECHNIQUE

I compare relationship building for business to the same art-form of dating. Anyone who remembers their first date may recall the extra effort made to open that door or, sharing an especially warm smile. The concern is clearly focused on making a good first impression. The hope is that the other person will acknowledge and appreciate your efforts and will reciprocate.

(Typical) NETWORKING TECHNIQUE

One makes sure that they have more-than-enough spiffy new cards in hand. The magic hand is quickly extended, not to greet and shake but to getting those cards passed out to as many people as possible. I've been (very) guilty of feeling secure that once the card is now in their possession, that the implanted homing device will pull their mind, body & spirit to my business.

WHAT ARE YOUR INTENTIONS?

A key question about a dating is, are you in it for the moment or for the long haul? If the focus is on the moment, that's ok but it's quite possible that the date will sense your impatience and distraction. If they are not on the same wavelength, they will likely respond with the same degree of detachment. However if there's a mutual sense that, 'this might be the one' then it's much more likely that there is a shared interest for further progress.

MY UNDERSTANDING 

I usually experience, at a networking event, that many contacts will extend their hand to pass me their business card, express a hurried statement that we can probably work together and then (almost as an after thought) ask for my business card. If I'm quick enough, I might actually get one in their hands before they move off to that next person.

MY INTENTIONS

My business could be considered as precious as my first-born, something meant to be kept around and nurtured for the long haul. No quickies here.

Anyone I choose to share my time with will have to take my first-born as seriously as I do. Their intentions’ has to be focused on having a continued and meaningful relationship that will cause my first-born to thrive.

MUTUAL PURPOSE (or Value)

I can't speak for your intentions but ask yourself the following. Are you inclined to follow up with a person who's just pushed their card into your hands while mumbling something about how you need to get together with them, as they're moving on to the next person. There might even be some eye contact and a quick smile.

Or, are you inclined to respond to someone who actually takes the time to engage you about your business. To show a sincere interest about how well your first-born is thriving and how they might be of additional assistance. Do you really want to see that first date become future dates?

However you choose to answer, consider that your response may very well be a reflection that's mirrored back to that other person from you. Of course, the observations and opinions expressed are my own and may not reflect yours.

DATING (building relationships to grow your business) REALLY DOESN'T HAVE TO BE SO STRESSFUL. 

Mutually shared values are not only be enjoyable but can also lead to a thriving future.

What do you think?


JNL Creative Tours, LLC provides bus tour events that are designed to build relationships, leading to endorsements for your business. Your prospects may step onto the bus as individuals but will step off to your venue as a part of your expanded network.

No comments:

Post a Comment