Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Why jerks can be good for entrepreneurs

Sounds like a totally oxymoronic statement? Then read on...
I recently watched a History Channel TV series reviewing the impact of influential men such as Rockefeller, JP Morgan and Henry Ford as America entered the 20th Century. The legacy of these men is undeniable 

A common theme expressed about these men was their need to have a nemesis to keep their focus and drive strong. Admittedly, I'm not (currently) in their stratosphere but I've certainly experienced my share of people (I choose to call them jerks) who seemed determined to either covertly or overtly obstruct my business efforts. It was not that they simply refused to honor agreements, delay timelines or continually muck up assignments, they seemed to actively engage in activity that was counter productive to the 'mutual' venture.

Their collective actions would resist efforts to foster greater cooperative team spirit and productivity. Don't even discuss the option to review mistakes to better adjust for the future.

It's truly difficult being an entrepreneur with these jerks repeatedly dragging at me (they do keep popping up). I've found myself having to eventually work away from these 'mutual' projects and create new paths to travel. Surprisingly, I also discovered that my business acumen and fortune is continually growing as I learn new skills, develop fresh resources and enhanced acumen to creatively maneuver through the inevitable 'jerk' episodes in my entrepreneurial journey.

I will not readily acknowledge that I now actually look forward to new jerk experiences. However, if it worked for the Henry Fords then it's certainly good enough for me. So, appreciate your jerks as stimuli to being a stronger entrepreneur.


Have you had similar experiences and outcomes, or do you disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment